Tuesday, January 26, 2010

How My Passion Relates to Life

My passion is dancing, particularly hip hop. I love to dance. Frankly, everything about hip hop culture intrigues me, but hip hop dancing has always been my number one hobby. I have been dancing for about 8 years now unprofessionally, and I am currently a part of my school's hip hop team. Ever since I first started dancing, it has become a big part of who I am. It has affected me on so many levels, and it still has a big impact on my life. Without my deep passion for hip hop dancing, I can truly say that I would not be the same person that I am today.

Over the years, I have always valued my talent for hip hop, however it was not until recently that I truly realized how much it has positively affected me. My passion for dance has helped me to fulfill several of the basic needs in my life, first and foremost being my self-esteem. Before I was ever introduced to hip hop I felt out of place. I did not have a special talent for anything in particular. I couldn’t play an instrument, I couldn’t sing, and I was never outstanding in any sport in particular. I felt like I was good for nothing. However, after I took my first hip hop lesson, my instructor was astonished at my abilities at such a young age. This truly boosted my self-esteem. I felt like I was finally good at something, and best of all, I enjoyed it. I continued to work on my techniques, and after my first performance at a school talent show, people began to recognize me for my gift. Up to this day, dance is still a major source of self-esteem in my life.

My passion for hip hop has also contributed to my needs for love and belonging. Over the years, I have met plenty of new people through the various hip hop teams and programs that I have been involved in. Many of these people have grown to become close friends of mine and are now a big part of my life. Currently, I am a part of one dance crew, called “D’ynamic”. We have been dancing together for around three years now and it is safe to say that the team has grown to become a second family to me. We share the same interests and get along phenomenally. When I dance with my team, I truly feel like I belong.

One significant lesson that I have learned from my experiences in dancing is that persistence and dedication is essential. This idea shows how dance can be related to life in general. For example, last year I was struggling to grasp the routine that my hip hop team was supposed to perform with. After weeks of practice it seemed like I had not improved at all and I felt like giving up. Nevertheless, something pushed me to keep practicing until I could grasp the routine. I refused to give up, and by competition time I was able to perform the routine without any difficulty. This concept applies to life, because to become prosperous in your endeavours, determination and perseverance is required.

No comments:

Post a Comment